Site News

Date Added: 08/25/2017 Responsibilities and Rights In United States

Responsibilities and Rights In United States


Your conduct as a permanent resident can affect your ability to become a U.S. citizen later. The process of becoming a U.S. citizen is called naturalization.

 As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

● Live permanently anywhere in the United States.
● Work in the United States.
● Own property in the United States.
● Attend public school.
● Apply for a driver’s license in your state or territory.
● Join certain branches of the U.S. armed forces.
● Receive Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.
● Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.
● Request visas for your spouse and unmarried children to live in the United States.
● Leave and return to the United States under certain conditions.

 As a permanent resident, you must:
● Obey all federal, state, and local laws.
● Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.
● Register with the Selective Service (U.S. armed forces), if you are a male between the ages of 18 and 26.
● Maintain your immigration status.
● Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all times.

As a permanent resident, you have many rights and freedoms. In return, you have some responsibilities. One important responsibility is to get involved in your community. You should also learn about American culture, history, and government. You can do this by taking adult education classes and reading local newspapers.

If you are a permanent resident who is 18 years old or older, you must carry proof of your immigration status. You must show it to an immigration officer or law enforcement officer if asked for it. Your Permanent Resident Card can be valid for 10 years, and you must renew it before it expires or if your name changes. To replace or renew your Permanent Resident Card, you must file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. There is a fee to file Form I-90. If you are a conditional permanent resident (CR) through marriage or entrepreneurship, you were issued a two-year card. Do not use Form I-90 to apply for an extension or renewal of your status. Instead, you must file for removal of your conditions before your card expires.

Your Permanent Resident Card shows that you are allowed to live and work in the United States. You can also use your Permanent Resident Card to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad. If you are outside of the United States for more than 12 months, then you will need to show additional documentation to re-enter the country as a permanent resident.


The Department of State implemented the electronic registration system beginning with DV-2005 in order to make the DV process more efficient and secure. The Department utilizes special technology and other means to identify those who commit fraud for the purposes of illegal immigration or those who submit multiple entries.



USA Green Card Lottery 2017 Registration Entry
Apply for the Official U.S. DV-Lottery 2019
Immigration and Naturalization Program Here


 Start your US Green Card Lottery Registration


** Please Note that ALL information on US Green Card Service which you see in your native languages is a result of work, of third party translators from English to your native language. We apologize if you may find any discrepancy or mistakes in translation. Please help us to improve the accuracy of translation to you native language, by sending email from Contact Us page.





No Posts Found

New Post

Type the characters you see in the picture below.